This page contains links to collections of digital materials related to Fermilab's history. The first section, "Fermilab Archives Digital Collections," contains links to collections of digitized documents that are maintained by the Fermilab Archives. The second section, "Other Digital Collections," contains links to useful collections of digital documents managed by other organizations inside and outside the lab.
Fermilab Archives Digital Collections
These are complete or nearly complete sets of Fermilab publications that the Fermilab Archives has digitized.
- Village Crier and FermiNews: The Fermilab employee newsletter was known as the Village Crier from March 1969 until May 1978, when it became FermiNews. FermiNews ended in June 2004. This collection contains PDF-A's made from scans of the original printed documents and is searchable.
- Golden Book Collection: The Golden Books were produced in 1992 for Fermilab's 25th anniversary. Most of these booklets contain writings related to the history and vision of Fermilab, and most of the content was previously published in other forms. This collection contains HTML versions of the booklets.
Other Digital Collections
These are collections of material related to the history of Fermilab or Fermilab's work that have been made available online by other parts of the lab or by other organizations.
Fermilab Images and Video
- Photographs: This searchable database contains photographs produced by Fermilab from 1968 to the present. Some of these images are scans made from negatives and others were created as digital photographs. Note that only a fraction of the negatives have been scanned.
- Online Videos: This searchable database contains digitized and digital videos produced by Fermilab from 1983 to the present. Note that only a fraction of the films and videos produced by Fermilab have been digitized.
- Video Tape Archive: This searchable database contains records of videos produced by Fermilab from 1976 to 2011. It does not contain digital versions of those videos.
- Graphic Arts: This searchable database contains digitized and digital graphics produced by Fermilab from 1971 to the present.
- FermiNews: FermiNews was a lab employee newsletter that was published from May 1978 to June 2004. Fermilab's Office of Communication has made digital versions of issues of FermiNews from 1996 to 2004 available online as PDF's and HTML documents. This collection is searchable. These documents are also available in the Archives collection listed above.
- Fermilab Today: Fermilab Today was a lab employee newsletter that was published daily July 2003 to November 2015. Fermilab's Office of Communication has made all of them available online as HTML documents. This collection is searchable.
- Computing Bits: Computing Bits is a Computing Sector newsletter that began in December 2006. It was briefly called Computing Bulletin before being named CD Tracks in January 2007. It was later renamed Computing Bits.
- Fermilab News Articles: This is a searchable database of select Fermilab news articles from 1995 to the present. It does not include every article from this period.
- Fermilab Press Releases: This is a searchable database of Fermilab press releases from 1995 to the present.
Fermilab Technical Publications
- Fermilab Technical Publications Search: This webpage contains a search of Fermilab technical publications in INSPIRE-HEP, such as preprints, technical memos, physics notes, etc. It also includes links to listings of many categories of Fermilab technical publications. Some of the most important categories are listed below.
- Fermilab Annual Reports: Fermilab published an annual report from 1979 to 2007.
- Fermilab Monthly Reports (NALRep and Monthly Reports): From April 1968 to June 1973, the lab published a monthly report under the title "National Accelerator Laboratory Monthly Report of Activities." In July 1973, the lab began publishing these reports under the title "NALRep" and kept this title until December 1976. In January 1977, these reports began being published under the title "Fermilab Report." These reports were published until September 1993. The "NALREP" collection contains monthly reports published from 1969 to 1976 and the "Monthly Reports" collection contains monthly reports published from 1975 to 1993.
- Fermilab Experiment Proposals: These are proposals for experiments at Fermilab from 1970 to the present.
- Fermilab Experiments: This is a listing of Fermilab experiments from 1970 to the present.
- Fermilab Design Reports: These are Fermilab design reports from 1968 to the present.
Fermilab Event Recordings
- Fermilab Colloquia: This webpage contains a list of the colloquium talks held most Wednesdays at Fermilab from 1997 to the present. Starting in 2000, many of the lectures listings include links to videos of the talks.
- INSPIRE-HEP: This is an open access digital library for the field of high-energy physics literature curated by CERN, DESY, Fermilab, and SLAC. It combined SPIRES (Stanford Physics Information Retrieval System), which was established in the 1970's and was curated by DESY, Fermilab and SLAC, with the Invenio digital library technology developed at CERN. It includes many historically significant physics papers and many Fermilab publications.
- AIP Niels Bohr Library & Archives: The American Institute of Physics' Niels Bohr Library & Archives has many resources on the history of physics.
- Archival finding aids: This is a listing of detailed inventories of archives collections in the history of physics from over 200 institutions worldwide.
- Emilio Segrè Visual Archives: This database contains more than 30,000 photos of scientists and their work, including some of Enrico Fermi.
- Oral Histories: This database contains an extensive collection of oral history interview recordings and transcripts.
- The University of Chicago's Enrico Fermi collection